[mythtv-users] bigger fonts please

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 24 02:51:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 09:18:25AM -0400, Donavan Stanley wrote:
>On 6/22/05, John Gruenenfelder <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:
>> However... is this *really* the solution?  What about all the font size
>> options in the Myth config?  You can set the point sizes for small, medium,
>> and large fonts.  On my machine, changing those has never done anything and I
>> don't know why.  That's why I eventually used the dpi hack method.
>
>Yes it's the real solution.  Themes are designed to be viewed at
>standard viewing distances on a 27inch display with and 800x600
>display running at 100dpi.  So unless your display is at 100dpi
>nothing is going to look like it should regardless of the
>small/medium/large fonts.  it's not a "hack" is a properly configured
>Myth box.

Thanks for the reply and for giving a concrete answer.

I've had my box running for just over a year now so I haven't looked at the
docs lately, but when I was configuring the system I don't recall ever coming
across this bit of wisdom.  I've only ever seen it in the mailing list where
the general flow is for somebody to ask about fonts and then for another
person to suggest going to 100dpi.

Also, some indicator that font size settings in the config menu will not
change font sizes in the themed elements would help.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng at as.arizona.edu
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://gutenpalm.sf.net
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max