[mythtv-users] TV won't play unless you run mythbackend manually from a console

Mickey Chandler mickc at whizardries.com
Thu Jun 23 01:42:05 UTC 2005

<quote who="Michael Jones">
> If I open a console window as root and run it manually:
>

> #mythbackend &
>

> everything works.  If I run it as a service and start live tv, the live
> tv screen shows up runs for about 1-2 sec and then freezes,  the system
> then waits about 60sec and then returns to the main menu by itself.
>
> Any ideas?

I hadn't thought about it with this difference, but it has been noted
before that sometimes you have to let a program record before you can
watch live tv.  I wouldn't think that starting it either as a service or
from the console should make a difference there, but your description of
1-2 sec viewing followed by freezing and a return to the menu sounds
awfully familiar.

When you start it as a service, are you creating a log file that might
tell you what error is there?