[mythtv-users] Via M10000

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:28:47 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
> On 20-Jun-05, at 4:03 AM, Craig Hagerman wrote:
>
> > What I am wondering is how the Epia performs at transcoding. I know
> > this can take up a lot of CPU power. How long does it take to (remove
> > commercials and)transcode an hour of video down to something smaller?
> > Can anyone recommend any other small form factor, relatively cool CPU
> > / motherboard for my project?
>
> My M10000 performs terribly at transcoding, at least 4:1. In other
> words, a 1 hour recording will take 4 hours to transcode. There were
> some posts recently about how the choice of mpeg decoder (ffmpeg vs
> libav) can make a huge difference in transcoding but I haven't rejigged
> my setup to compare.

I'm seeing similar speeds using nuvexport to transcode to avi on my
amd 2800+. It's two years old, but in all other respects it's a really
fast machine. I have denoise switched off (to work around a buggy
yuvdenoise mentioned in other threads), but otherwise just use the
defaults. I assumed that there was nothing I could do to speed it up,
but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be interested in reading them.

Regards,

Chris