[mythtv-users] Reboot misplaces video0

Frostykev frostykev at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 22:30:02 UTC 2005

Thanks to all.

I didn't know what "udev" was so I was searching for dev/video0 and reboot, with little success, hence the post.

When I looked for udev and reboot I found a great write-up:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-December/066857.html

This fixed my problem, only change I made was:

# cd /etc/udev.d/devices/   ----- to this # cd /etc/udev/devices/

The link is quoted below in case that link doesn't work. . .

Quoted here:

I believe the problem is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. The application (mythbackend wants /dev/video[0-9], lircd wants /dev/lirc[0-9]). Previously when an application would access those devices, the kernel would see (for example) /dev/lirc0 is mapped to major

61 minor 0, look in /etc/modprobe.conf for char-major-61 and load the appropriate module. But with udev the kernel doesn't know that those applications are probing for those devices as those devices do not exist until the module is loaded.

If you could get those devices to show up all the time, or manually load the modules before any applications start, that would solve the clean reboot problem.

Heh, now that I've thought about it, you can fix this by creating the appropriate devices in /etc/udev/devices:

# cd /etc/udev.d/devices/

# mknod lirc0 c 61 0

# mknod video0 c 81 0

You may have to create additional devices if you have more than one ivtv device or a PVR-350 depending on the order mythbackend probes things.

-Dave

ujfhgyicgeb.10810889 at bloglines.com wrote:
Here is a link that might help. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/114197?search_string=udev%20video0;#114197

I had a similiar situation. My video0 would get loaded with the mythbackend,
but the permissions were wrong. I found that I needed to create the /dev/video0
file manually, and then set the permissions. Once I did that, all was good.

--- Discussion about mythtv
Frostykev
wrote:

> >Originally capture video worked fine on my setup.
> >After
a reboot It comes up with:

> >[root at localhost mythtv]# cat /dev/video0
> test.mpg
> >cat: /dev/video0: No such file or directory

Sounds like a udev problem. Try searching the list (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
).