[mythtv-users] RE:MYMsql errors

ian swanson swansian at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jun 20 15:12:51 UTC 2005

Original MESSAGE:
How can I get the MySQL database to run... I can't get to the database setup
> screen. When I 'mysql -u root mysql' , i get the error: Can't connect to
> local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2). If I type

When you started the mysql server as detailed in the previous message,
did it give you any errors? If it did, you may want to try it as:

/etc/init.d/mysqld start

You may also want to have the mysql server run at boot-up so you don't
have to manually start it. As root, do:

/sbin/chkconfig mysqld on

This should get you up and running as long as MySQL is installed properly.

When i /etc/init.d/mysqld start, it says:
chown: 'mysql :mysql' : invalid user
chown: 'mysql :mysql' : invalid user
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:        [FAILED]
When I /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on.. it appears to work.
When I try to run any part of Mythtv, it says 2005-06-20 08:10:32.726 New DB connection, total
: 1.
                                Thanks for any help, Ian.