[mythtv-users] Suddenly unable to Tune

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:10:44 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, James Pattinson <jamesp at hisser.org> wrote:
> Hi All
> I have set up MythTV a couple of months ago and it seems to have been
> working fine up until about 6 days ago. I just decided to remotely
> connect back home to check if my programs are being recorded, but all my
> NUV files are zero length! When I try to record a program it gives the
> error about "No PIDs set - please correct your channel setup" but my
> channels were set up a while ago and nothing should have changed. No
> reboots, no restarts of MythTV, nothing.
> However there are a few more interesting errors in the log, and I'm
> wondering if someone could let me know what they mean. I'm running 0.18
> on gentoo linux. Log extract below.


The same symptom(s) here, "No PIDs set ...".  But I was able to fix it,
restoring the affected system, here's what I found.

The "starting channel" for the HD-3000 card had been removed from
the channel lineup.  By violating "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, I had
run another Scan on the Channel Editor screen of mythtv-setup.  That
scan failed to find KTCADT, channel number 21.  I had set the starting
channel number for the HD-3000 card to 21.

Right after that scan, I could no longer watch or record from the HD-3000.
At first, I thought the card burned up.  So I tried using dvbtraffic to test the
card.  This link was a big help:


The card was good, so then I knew it was something I had done.
I looked thru the channels.conf file, found the frequency for KTCA.
Then I looked thru the list of frequencies on Channel Editor -> Advanced.
Either there was no entry with KTCA's frequency, or that entry had all
zeros, I can't remember.  But that told me that MythTV no longer knew
anything about KTCA.

So, I went back to Channel Editor -> Scan for channels, and scanned
for only one signal (UHF 34) - not a full scan.  This time the scan found
KTCA and added KTCADT to the list of scanned channels.

After starting the backend and the frontend, I could watch and record
(again) from the HD-3000 card.

Well, that was kind of a long-winded story, and it might not have anything
to do with your problem.  But the symptom(s) seemed similar enough.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list