[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 23:00:49 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > In general, it's rather unreasonable to expect users to go through their
> > entire recording schedule looking for these scenarios, especially when
>
> It's very reasonable. You only need to look at today becaue the
> the listing update tomorrow may change things. I may see things
> a couple days ahead and tweak them but I don't fret too much until
> the day comes. There are lots of things that may need attention
> besides deciding what to do about these small overlaps and I
> know that I can set rules to normally do what I want and can tweak
> things to match what I'm thinking that the system can't possibly
> know until I tell it.
> If there is an overlap that results in a conflict (if it was really
> important to me, I'd buy a sixth card ;-) the system can't know if
> I'd prefer to chop off the end of one thing or the beginning of the
> other.  Someone mentioned that ABC scheduled 2 minutes off the hour
> on Wednesday, I don't see that here for last night or next week but
> all a care about on Wednesday is that I don't miss a minute of Beauty
> and the Geek. If the scheduler decided for me that it should cutoff
> the first two minutes for some ABC show, I'd be pissed.

The bugger, in my case, was the guide did not show a conflict, so
there was nothing I could have done to "schedule" this case
differently. Because the clocks were off (again, now resolved) the
MasterBackend though it could record, but the slave backend still had
tuner busy for 8 more seconds, causing the Master to completely give
up.

Making the scheduler retry when a tuner becomes free, and preventing
conflicts in advance are really two completely different issues.