[mythtv-users] Connecting Myth box to cable box - 8-pin/9-pin serial vs. LIRC

Steve Pugh spugh at edenfx.com
Mon Jun 13 00:16:33 UTC 2005

Hello all,

After ordering components in November of last year and going through a
cycle of alternating short bursts of frustration and long bouts of
non-activity, I am the proud papa of a Myth system (dual 2.4GHz
backend/frontend, one PVR-250 and one PVR-350 for input and TV out,
Pioneer DVD-R).  Have been playing music and videos for about a week,
and once I installed the latest 0.3.6g drivers for ivtv and fixed my
system clock (I was an infuriating five minutes off, which made every
recorded show a cliffhanger for me ;-)  I have been watching live
television and recorded programs with glee.

Another week or so of testing and hacking on the 'black screen when
exiting Program Guide' bug, and I might even disconnect my lovely wife's
ReplayTV and pronounce Myth the ruler of the household's media domain.

Enough of that, on to the question.  So far, I've been sticking to the
bare cable input for the Myth.  Looks great, but it's limited to
channels 1-99.  I would rather use it to control the cable settop box,
which means either LIRC or finding a suitable 9-pin to 8-pin serial cable.

Does the collective group of Those Who Have Gone Before Me have a
preference?  Seems that direct control via serial would be more
reliable, and I've seen cables online for $10-15.  Is there a specific
pinout I need to worry about for a Pioneer V1100 box, or will this
off-the-shelf cable do the trick?  Or, if there is a standard pinout,
I'm not afraid of a little solder, as long as I'm just attaching
cables.  What are your thoughts?

Many thanks and best regards,
    Steve