[mythtv-users] HDTV cards w/o antenna

David Fitzgerald fitzer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:11:56 UTC 2005

I'm researching making my own MythTV box, and my primary motivation is
because TiVo doesn't currently support HDTV.  In looking at the HDTV
cards that are supported, I find two, but am a tad confused by
something I read concerning their specifications.  I also looked at
some of the recent archives and came up empty.

The HD-3000 specs or FAQs claim that you need to have an antenna and
that it is incompatible with a cable company's HDTV feed (I use RCN,
or Comcast is also available to me).  Depending upon how you read it,
it may be talking about the older HD-2000 or maybe both the HD-2000
and the HD-3000.  I'm not sure if it is a typo or a "feature".

The other option, the Air2PC card, claims to optimally "receive 8VSB
(ATSC) digital broadcast signals", and appears to have only an RF
interface.  Is this two different ways of saying that you simply
cannot capture any HTDV signal on either of these two cards w/o having
an antenna?

If so, I'm extremely underwhelmed.  The last thing I want to do is
deal with an antenna on a MythTV box.  I'm hoping I'm mistaken.