[mythtv-users] Sound problems on some files and streams

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 02:57:53 UTC 2005

	Ever since I reinstalled my system (with 0.18 and 0.18.1), I
have noticed that some of my saved videos have a problem with the
sound. The symptoms are the following:

	I start the movie and the sound and video start but they are
both skipping at least once every second. While that is happening, I
get the following messages printed out by mplayer:

alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.044 msecs. resetting stream
alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.033 msecs. resetting stream
alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.031 msecs. resetting stream

	After I recently installed mythstream, I noticed that all of
the streams have the same problem. They are all skipping in the same

	If I try the videos with -ao oss, they work fine (I have not
tried mythstream because I don't know how to edit the mplayer command
line it uses).

	The sound chip that my motherboard has is a CMedia chip:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Chaintech Computer Co. Ltd Unknown device f444
	Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 12
	I/O ports at d800 [size=256] I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
        Memory at ea001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

	So I am pretty sure it is an alsa problem, but it has been
happening ever since I install, even through the alsa updated recently.

	Any ideas or things to poke at? thanx
Mitko Haralanov
voidtrance at comcast dot net
  If you really want to know where you stand, it'll cost you around
  $15K and that, in my opinion, is fine. If it isn't worth $15K to
  protect your code then it is worth so little to you that there really
  is no good reason not to just GPL it from the start.

	- Larry McVoy on GPL licensing issues