[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Audio sync problems

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Jun 10 13:08:35 UTC 2005

I've noticed lots and lots of postings on this list from people
experiencing audio sync problems with Myth and/or mplayer.  I just
wanted to relate a little something I've noticed that may or may
not provide some answers.

I have a Samsung TS360 HD sat receiver that has an OTA input.  I
use this box to receive and watch OTA digital (SD and HD) programming
on a Panasonic HD monitor.  I have noticed that the audio is sometimes
out of sync from some broadcasters.

The worst case I've seen with a local broadcaster is with the local
news broadcast.  The audio is always slightly out of sync with the
video when the broadcast is from the studio but when they switch to
a live remote, the audio is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of sync.  When the
broadcaster is broadcasting network programming, a/v sync appears to
be ok.  Since the A/V sync from this broadcaster seems to vary
depending on what the programming source is and appears to consistantly
be that way, I don't believe the a/v sync issue is related to either
my receiver or monitor.  In fact, I believe the problem originates
at the broadcaster.

You're probably wondering...what does this mean to me?  Well, for
those of you experiencing a/v sync problems with myth or mplayer, you
should not rule out the source of the problem being the broadcaster.
Anyway, I hope this information is useful to someone.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown