[mythtv-users] Re: mplayer audio sync issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 9 19:05:06 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:15:03AM -0600, Adam Gianola wrote:
>>Thanks Mike,
>>I will definitely try those things if I can.  I've been using mplayer
>>packages from ATRPMS, so I'm surprised if more people aren't having
>>this problem.
>I for my part am not affected (snd-intel8x0), it looks like it is
>driver specific.
Even on DivX/XviD files?  Previously they said they seemed to be the
only ones affected.

OK, then, perhaps an easier test for the OP.  What happens with:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=atiixp -v /path/to/video_file 2>&1 | col -b |
tee mplayer.log

This might not work with the file you tried last time (it has 44.1kHz
audio, and your soundcard may only accept 48kHz).  If not, ideally, try
to find a file that shows sync problems and has 48kHz audio (you may
have to reset your audio device to default as shown below to play other
videos/verify the sync problems again).

If you don't have an affected file with 48kHz audio, try replacing your
.asoundrc with the one at the
(you may have to modify device numbers as explained in the post and if
you don't have a digital output, just delete the digital stuff) and try

mplayer -ao alsa:device=analog -v /path/to/video_file 2>&1 | col -b |
tee mplayer.log

Then try

mplayer -ao alsa:device=mixed-analog -v /path/to/video_file 2>&1 | col
-b | tee mplayer.log

If all of that gives you the same results (with the sync
delay--especially if it's the same with 48kHz and 44.1kHz audio), I
really think you need MPlayer recompiled against alsa-lib-1.0.9 .

You'll probably have to reset your audio to default after finishing
testing.  You can do this with:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=default -v /path/to/video_file 2>&1 | col -b |
tee mplayer.log