[mythtv-users] Help With xorg.conf and S-Video Setup

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Jun 8 01:12:48 UTC 2005

I've built my first Myth box using 0.18.1 and a Gentoo 2.6.11 kernel.
Everything was working OK while connected to a regular 4:3 VGA monitor
running 1024x768 res.  Liking what I saw, I decided to move the system
to my 38" RCA HDTV.

I have a GeForce2 card.  I'm using the S-Video out to one of the video
inputs on my TV.  Using a plain vanilla config (posted below), I get a
picture that is fuzzy but readable.  However after starting
mythfrontend, anytime I attempt to watch either live tv or a recording,
the interface appears to just "lock up".  The machine still responds via
ssh connections from another computer but X and icewm are frozen.  Only
a "kill" will free it.

I have Googled for 2 days now but am no closer to understanding what I
need to do to get things going.  Does it make sense that X would "hose"
just by switching to SVideo?  Also, where can I begin to understand what
options I need in my xorg.conf file to clear up the picture and
stabilize X?  I know SVideo will never be as clear as VGA, but I expect
it to be at least as clear as the SVideo that comes out of my DirecTV
box.  Is that a reasonable expectation?

***Begin xorg.conf***
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
# Comment out dri per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
# to use nvidia driver
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      340   250     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"