[mythtv-users] Opinions on components for my new MythTV box?

Jason Weinstein potuncle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:10:22 UTC 2005

I currently have a ASUS Pundit (non-R) with a P4 3.06 Ghz w/HT
processor and 512MB of RAM. I have yet been unable to view 1080i and
720p live or recorded (non-transcoded) programs without getting 100%
CPU usage dropped frames. This is when I am outputting to S-Video to
my NTSC TV. Over 40% of the CPU was being used by X and I think this
is because it is resizing the video to be output via S-Video. I have
no empty PCI slots to add a nVidia video card that can handle XvMC.

So, I have decided to replace my Pundit with a new from-scratch
computer. After some research I'm thinking of buying the following
components. I'd like to get anyone's opinion on my choices.

- Athalon 3000+ Venice (is Athalon 64 with SSE3)
- Chaintech VNF4 Ultra motherboard (has nVidia nForce4 Ultra chipset)
- Albatron Geforce PCX5300 128MB PCI-Express video card

Any comments/recomendations are greatly appreciated.

--Jason