[mythtv-users] OT: 160GB Western Digital, $30 after rebates

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jun 3 20:11:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:36:16PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Jeff Simpson wrote:
>
> >I know not everyone likes the idea of rebates, but here's a 160GB WD
> >drive for $30 for those that do. It's only available for pick-up from
> >CompUSA stores, so check their site for availability at your local
> >store first.
> >
> >http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=298017
> >

> That's hilarious.  I bought the exact same drive from CompUSA for the
> same $30 after rebate on Sunday.  The only difference was that it was
> delivery only (so I had to spend $20 more to get the $0.01 shipping).

Great price, but these days you start running into limits on how many
drives you can put in a system, due to bays, IDE controllers and power.
(Though you can buy external usb boxes for more than the post-rebate cost
of this drive.)

I've thus come to the conclusion that I can't afford a drive as small as
160gb, even if it's effectively free like this one!  That's a 21st
century moment.

Perhaps somebody should make a low priced external USB case that holds
4 EIDE drives on usb-2, just for video arrays.  With video arrays you
really don't care a lot about the bandwidth limitations that would
give you, a video stream only needs about 20 megabits for ordinary play
and record, though more for commercial scan/transcode of course.  Right
now such cases would cost a fair bit more than this drive.