[mythtv-users] Pundit-R - ATI or SiS

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Wed Jun 1 11:09:47 UTC 2005

Ciaran wrote:

>Pundit-S (likely the cheaper 'R' on new-egg)  is running a SIS chipset.
>I run a Pundit-S as a combo back-end/front-end without any problems,
>excellent little system. (Just be aware you won't get Open GL
>Acceleration on the SiS chipset :( )
>- Ciaran

I can tell you OpenGL doesn't work with with the ati driver either.
Last time I compared the two (about a year ago) the tv-out quality of
the ATI version was and is clearly better than the Sis model. (even
after upgrading sis drivers and tweaking lots of settings and doing a
lots of reading on winischhofer.net
<http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml> ). Maybe the sis driver
has evolved in the meantime but if not, the ATI, even if it is a pain to
install and hex-edit their videodriver to get the tv-out working, would
be the better choice.

Steven