[mythtv-users] Experiences with XvMC

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 15:06:50 EDT 2005

Hi Scott,

I've been doingh the same analysis on HD playback .   I've been doing
XvMC with an FX5200 AGP card.  When it's working well, it's very good.
 But, I get the "prebuffering pause" issues, which causes choppy
playback.

I'm surprised that you were able to do HD playback via the PCI bus.  I
didn't think the bandwidth was sufficient for 1280x720x24bits at 60+fps.
  Maybe XvMC changes the equation a bit..  Can you still get decent HD
playback without XvMC?

Another thing I'm interested in is the 'Unichrome' display adapters.
This S3/VIA video chips do full MPEG decoding, not just the iDCT+MC
done with XvMC.  I don't know if it is any more/less capable with
things like de-interlacing.   Also, the 'Unichrome' version is
integrated into the motherboard, I don't know if they have the same
capabilities in their add-in cards.   Prior to moving to MythTV, I
used a 'MyHD' card in Windows.  It had a hardware MPEG decoder, which
did a nice job of scaling and de-interlacing, which almost no CPU
requirements.   I would love to find something similar for MythTV.