[mythtv-users] Myth box questions

Nathan Widmyer lighthousej at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 20:27:13 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm new to the mailing list but I've been interested in building a box for a
while now. I've tried to search the list if this has been brought up before
but I couldn't find any mention of it.

I'm currently thinking about what I want to put in my box but I have one
question. I want the box to be headless, and so I can use and operate it all
remotely. I saw that you can bring up the program listings via a web browser
but that's half of what I want. Is there a way that I can view recordings
and live TV remotely too, like in a VideoLAN window? My idea for how to get
this to work is to specify a starting port (any convenient port) on the box
to play video on, ports at that number or the next available sequential port
can be used. When I want to watch a movie or live TV, I can go to the web
browser where it has live TV listings or a list of recordings, click play on
what I want and it streams the video over the first available port. A bigger
feature of this is that it lets some people play different things (by mixing
live TV or recordings) simultaneously. Perhaps John can watch TV on tuner 1,
a recording can be occuring on tuner 2 with the option of someone watching
the recording as it happens, Billy can watch a different recorded show,
etc... Maybe other ports play other things like a port to display weather or
to display information from installed modules. As for playing, you can also
have the option of delaying a playback of a recording for a couple minutes
for some reason, maybe you can display a "this show will start in 1 minute,
37 seconds." to indicate the show is about to begin, maybe the latest news
headlines or whatever.

Again, I hope this hasn't been asked before so I don't repeat a common
question. DVD's and videos are much more convenient for me to watch in a
window on my desktop while I work on a PC than it is to watch on a
TV/monitor plugged into the box itself. Thanks for your time, Nathan.