[mythtv-users] xine and mythtv

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Jul 29 14:22:04 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:57:40PM +0200, Sim wrote:
> Perhaps what i have been asking for ages about jerky pictures is what is being
> called dropped frames here.  I've been thinking it might be an encoding issue
> and that I needed a hardware encoder even though I have a celeron 2ghz.  But
> now I realise that I get dropped frames (a tiny pause of much less than a
> second every 10 - 15 seconds).  I'm also seeing 50% CPU usage.

Are you using the same box for both recording and playback or is it a
split system that plays over a LAN?  Does your audio pause at the same
time?  I was having short pauses every 15 seconds or so, and it turned
out to be a buffering problem.  I did some searching on Google and
found out that the on-board network interface on my back-end machine is
known to be complete crap, so I stuck in a $5 PCI network card and
everything runs perfectly now.