[mythtv-users] hdtv from a cable box

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 28 20:01:49 EDT 2005

Bruce Pennypacker wrote:

>tgate wrote:
>
>>>I am not sure if it is something I would plan a MythTv
>>>system around.  Different areas probably have different results.  I
>>>assume they're working on locking it down everywhere though.
>>>

>>Unbelievable.  I really don't understand why content creators or
>>providers can not simply offer a "decryption license" for their
>>media.  I'm happy to pay for HBO or Cable.  Why should I be forced to
>>buy a lousy TiVo or other DVR when I can build a myth setup.

Forced to buy is a good thing.  It means that vendors (i.e. the
satellite or cable company) can sell or lease you a product you don't
want (i.e. the TiVo or cable-company DVR) because it's the only way to
get a product you do want (HBO or cable).

>>In fact
>>a decryption license would open the doors for people who only have
>>internet access.  It would completely open up distribution for them.
>>
>>Sorry for the rant.  For the better part of a year now I've been
>>searching for a way to make mithTv work for me.  It's great.  There's
>>just so much working against it.
>>

>Isn't this what the smart-card that come cable companies are now
>offering is supposed to deal with?  You rent a smart-card rather than
>the entire cable box and stick the card into whatever cable box you
>desire.  I think they're are PC cards in the works to support this as
>well, but unfortunately I forget what it's all called.

CableCard.

Guess how many Linux drivers there will be.  And, care to guess how much
information will be provided on how the CableCard works (security
through obscurity).

Oh well, at least there aren't any draconian laws to prevent reverse
engineering the technological protections designed to safeguard
copyrighted material--if there were, it would be a Dreadful
Media-Conglomerate Advantage (DMCA) over consumers.

Mike