[mythtv-users] hdtv from a cable box

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Jul 28 13:32:51 EDT 2005

At 01:23 PM 7/28/2005, you wrote:
>>I am not sure if it is something I would plan a MythTv
>>system around.  Different areas probably have different results.  I
>>assume they're working on locking it down everywhere though.
>
>Unbelievable.  I really don't understand why content creators or providers
>can not simply offer a "decryption license" for their media.  I'm happy to
>pay for HBO or Cable.  Why should I be forced to buy a lousy TiVo or other
>DVR when I can build a myth setup.  In fact a decryption license would
>open the doors for people who only have internet access.  It would
>completely open up distribution for them.
>
>Sorry for the rant.  For the better part of a year now I've been searching
>for a way to make mithTv work for me.  It's great.  There's just so much
>working against it.

yeah, I have no true options as my cable provider (Charter) markets their
own PVR settopbox. Right now I'm just pulling the lower 100 channels in
Analog off the cable and at some point I'll set up an IR blaster for the
cable box access and pull it from there via S-Video. I'm sorry, I don't
want to be stuck with their lousy 40gb internal drive and no DVD writing
capability.