[mythtv-users] apt-get dist-upgrade removes apt-get

Michael Jones m_g_j at michaelandholly.com
Wed Jul 27 20:47:37 EDT 2005

Nicholas,

I feel your pain.. I went through the same thing. I must have reloaded 6-7
times before getting it right (on a P3500 frontend that took about an hour
each time.. )

Axel posted some information on the apt-get user group that was helpful - at
least in my case. It seems that the current problem is that the kickstart
files get removed without being replaced (or replaced correctly) and a
library or two gets corrupted so it kills RPM as well in the process (at
least on my machine)

The solution seems to be to manually replace them BEFORE You do a "apt-get
dist-upgrade" command.

The command sequence was:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install rpm librpm4.4 apt atrpms-package-config fedora-release
beecrypt
# apt-get dist-upgrade.

Helped in my case.. it upgrades the apt and rpm packages as well as some of
the library stuff manually..   After which, I ran the dist-upgrade and
everything was OK.   I've heard from some that this didn't do the trick..

- Michael