[mythtv-users] [OT] UPS's and 24x7 MythBoxen...

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Wed Jul 27 13:03:05 EDT 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Andrew Close wrote:

> i currently have one MythBox up and running in our home production
> environment. :)  now that the new season of SG-1, Atlantis &
> Battlestar Galactica has started i freak out whenever there is a blip
> in the power at our house.  in the past week our neighborhood has lost
> power at least four times <shakes-fist> damn you Com-Ed </shakes-fist>
> and i've had to go downstairs and restart the MythBox and check the
> partitions.  so far this hasn't happened in the middle of a recording
> or caused a loss of data or any type of corruption.

I see you have already had some good responses from the UPS side, so
I'll just add my nod to the APC products on that front.

My suggestion to you would be in addition to adding UPS, clean up your
system so it does not require user intervention when it is restarted. I
had been having spontaneous reboots on my myth backend, which was a
huge bummer, but it only took the machine about a minute to fully
reboot, and when myth restarted, it continued recording.

I am using ext3 on my system disks, and JFS on my video storage disks,
and they have so far (knock on wood) always managed to straighten
themselves out on their own very quickly after an unclean reboot.

-Michael