[mythtv-users] Unable to set ALSA parameters

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Tue Jul 26 10:57:04 EDT 2005

Don't know if this helps, but ALSA seems to have some difficulty with certain hardware versions. I don't know the pattern.

Anyway, I have two computers at home with Soundblaster Live cards (one is two years old, the other less than 6 months). Anyway, they both have FC3 installed and they both behave completely differently. The new one works exactly perfectly well, everything as expected. The older one I've found that the mixer controls seem to be mapped completely incorrectly. In order to control master volume, I have to use the Surround Mix slider (master volume slider does nothing). I've done this from a command prompt and the exact thing seems to happen.

This is weird, but not insurmountable. I've also noticed that "alsactl store" sometimes doesn't store the current configuration properly.

ALSA is a good piece of software... but I consider OSS to be more "ready for prime-time" as far as user experience. Average joe user would've reinstalled Windows by now...