[mythtv-users] UK Malvern DVB scan problem

Julian Edwards myth at julian-edwards.com
Mon Jul 25 16:45:06 EDT 2005

Rob Jones wrote:

>>If anyone here is using Malvern can you tell me if you see the same
>>problem?  If not, can you send me a dump of your DVB-related mysql tables
>>so I can copy them please!
>>
>>Cheers
>>J.
>>

>I live in Malvern, but west of the hill so I actually get my signal from
>the Wrekin in Shropshire rather bizarrely. I believe both these
>transmitters are just relays of Sutton Coldfield so any problems you
>have would be seen there too if this were the case. I don't get your
>problem precisely, but due to my location I get very bad co-channel
>interference from Ridge Hill which means I don't get two of the muxes,
>and get others 2 or 3 times. I found the best solution was to look up
>(try the BBC reception website) the frequencies of the muxes you need
>and get mythtv to scan those frequencies individually.

Well, better late than never to reply!

I did indeed end up looking up mux frequencies directly and guessing at
a few of the other parameters and hey presto it started working.

For the archives, here's my initial tuning file:

# Malvern, Midlands
# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
#chan 51
T 714166670 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE
#chan 44
T 658166670 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE
#chan 41
T 634166670 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE
#chan 52
T 722166670 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE
#chan 39
T 618000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE
#chan 47
T 682166670 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE