[mythtv-users] HDD Temp

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:58:22 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Awhile ago I asked about temperature and the pcHD3000 and after some
research I decided to go with a larger case to help with airflow and
allow for more cooling options.  I've got it stuck in a closet so it
doesn't have to be dead silent but I don't want to go the water
cooling route since this needs to be self contained for WAF.

Right now I've got the following hardware for my backend in addition
to a pcHD3000:
Morex Venus 668
http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

Commell LV-667T
http://resonanceone.com/nucleus/Core.php?itemid=18

/dev/hda is Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB (system)
/dev/hdb is Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400gb (video storage)

I've got the system drive in the lowest drive holder that is
positioned sideways and the video storage in the 3.5 bay with nothing
in the 5.25 drive bays.

right now from hddtemp I get
/dev/hda: ST340014A: 39 C
/dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 40 C

and yesterday during the hottest part of the day I was getting
/dev/hda: ST340014A: 45 C
/dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 47 C

Are these temperatures normal? In my desktop my drives almost never go
above 35 C with no special drive cooling (2x250GB Sata 2x120GB Pata
and 5GB clunker).

Thanks,
Eric