[mythtv-users] HDTV and Cable TV - The Scoop?

Bruce Pennypacker bruce at pennypacker.org
Mon Jul 25 08:22:08 EDT 2005

Matt Goebel wrote:

>So I'm the market for a digital TV...
>
>I realize there aren't any cards out there for Linux that do QAM HDTV, and that my only options to record directly are the two OTA cards available.
>What about HDTV coming directly out of a HDTV cable box via component/firewire/etc...?  Are there video capture cards that can do that?  I have a
>couple PVR-250 which can handle 720x480 (interlaced/progressive?), which from what I've read is what some "HDTV" actually is?  What about cards that
>can handle 1080i?  Is this even possible yet?

Actually there are QAM HDTV cards available.  I've been successfully
using the pchdtv HD-3000 with my QAM cable connection for a while now.
You might want to go to http://www.pchdtv.com and browse through the
user/support forums there to learn more about them.  Keep in mind that
these cards only support unencrypted QAM, so you're likely to only get
local broadcast stations in HD over your cable.  You won't be able to
receive premium HD channels, etc.  You most likely wouldn't be able to
get these via a firewire connection to a cable box either though.

-Bruce