[mythtv-users] air2pc off ebay?

Dan Rampton danrampton at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 21:08:20 EDT 2005

Hola,

It's my first time writing to the list, but I've been
reading for a while.
I was wondering if anyone has purchased this $80 air2pc
card off ebay and
made it work successfully with mythtv.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3761&item=5195966400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It's an older revision card, so it does not use the nxt2002
frontend
described in all the nice air2pc+mythtv tutorials out there
like
http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/personal/angel/mythtv/air2pc-howto.html
I believe it has Broadcom 3510 firmware from this post I
read a while back,
which I'm currently using the dvb-fe-bcm3510-01.fw firmware
from dvb-kernel.

> On 5/17/05, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3761&item=5195966400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

> I went ahead and bought one. I'll let ya'll know how/if
it works. I
> emailed back and forth with the vendor who agreed to take
it back and
> refund me if it doesn't co-exist peacefully with my
existing setup.

> > Just wanted to follow this up. Vendor was extremely
easy to work with,
> > very knowlegable (you'll see why if you order one) and
shipped one out
> > the door quickyl.
> >
> > . Rev1 cards have a different "frontend" (Broadcom
3510) which has
> > only been supported in the last 7-ish days. Once you
get it compiled
> > into the kernel, everything gets happy.
> >
> > Worth the money, imho.
> >
> > One Caveat, if you have signal strength problems now,
you may not want
> > to get one of these... they are a little weaker on the
RCV side than
> > the Gen2 cards.

I have compiled a 2.6.11 redhat fc3 kernel, building the
b2c2 and all the
frontends as modules.
(Note:  I definitely do not see this frontend when running
'make menuconfig'
during the kernel build.)

I see the following in my /var/log/messages upon startup:
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel:
drivers/media/dvb/b2c2/skystar2.c:
FlexCopIIB(rev.195) chip found
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel:
drivers/media/dvb/b2c2/skystar2.c: the chip
has 38 hardware filters
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel: DVB: registering new adapter
(SkyStar2).
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel: i2c_readbytes: i2c read error
(addr 0a, err
== -121)
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel: mt312_read: ret == -121
Jul 18 19:07:48 goose kernel: skystar2: A frontend driver
was not found for
device 13d0/2103 subsystem 13d0/2103

I can't seem to get a hold of blammo (the author) to ask
him questions
though.
Is the mt312 my frontend?  Maybe I just need a newer
kernel?

If anyone can provide any pointers, I'd totally appreciate
it.  BTW, I love
reading the list every day.  The mythtv community is really
strong.
Thanks!

-Dan
danrampton at yahoo.com

My setup

Fedora core 3 with 2.6.11 kernel (non-64 bit, to just get
mythtv up and
running before going 64)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard
Athlon 64 3000