[mythtv-users] Starting over from scratch; need advice or information

Joe Marcom jmarcom at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 16:21:51 EDT 2005

Hello, again.  Having near-total failure watching TV in Linux, and can't
find the reason; it has to be someting I am "supposed to know", but
don't.  This is my situation to date:  About this time last year, I
bought a pcHDTV2000, but was never able to configure it to work, so I
put it away.  Recently, I installed a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR250 and tried
a Knoppmyth full-install, which appeared to work, but crashed on reboot.
I since discovered that the Hauppauge card is not recognized by any
Linux distro (exactly the same as my ATI AIW Radeon card).  Finally, I
tried a WinTV-GO card.  It was seen by MDK 9.1, and scanned for channels
- but has no channel-changing capability. Same for SuSE 9.2.  FC2 finds
a "Bt878 video capture device", but the TVtime television viewer does
nothing when clicked.  I am now totally lost and out of ideas.  The work
has been on my backup PC (Asus A7V600, XP1700, 768 MB ram, ATI AIW
Radeon 9600 graphics card), and various distros.  Primary PC dual-boots
  Win98 and SuSE 9.0.  I want to view/capture TV, especially HDTV, and
will do anything necessary to achieve this...just don't know what to try
next.