[mythtv-users] Re: Myth Plus ?

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:24:14 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Ashley Bostock <abostock at gmail.com> wrote:
> So how does it work if an improvement is made that isn't in the
> current version of myth.
>
> Do they supply a diff that you apply to myth (stable or svn version?),
> or do they have their own packages, source tree, etc... Are the
> improvements only available to subscribers or will they roll these
> back in to mythtv?

They've made contractual commitments to myself and Isaac that every
single line of code will be released back to the main community.  And
will, of course, be GPLed.

That's not to say that the code is exactly useful without a
subscription...  Case in point: MythMovieTime.  The upcoming podcast
plugin will function much like MythNews with a static xml of available
podcasts, however LxMSubscribers will be able to pull down a nightly
update with new / changed podcasts.  Things like that, where ever
there is value in data that data will go to subscribers.

That's a big reason why I've tried to stress that this isn't so much
about what you get for you $5 a month, it's more of a new way to
finance software development.  Instead of paying $50 and hoping a
feature you care about gets in, or paying nothing and being told "send
us a patch" your can pay small amount each month that when combined
with the money from others like you ensures the features you care
about get implemented.