[mythtv-users] Sempron or AthlonXP?

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 09:24:21 EDT 2005

--- "<SB> Childe Roland" <rolandchilde at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have two CPUs and two motherboards not in use
> right now.  One is an
> AthlonXP 2200+ and the other is a Sempron 2400+.  I
> am going to sell
> one and turn the other one into a Myth box.  Which
> do you guys think
> will be better for the application?  I have been
> using the Sempron and
> it seems a little choppy at times.  Will the
> additional cache of the
> Barton core Athlon win out over the speed of the
> Sempron, or vice
> versa???
> I would appreciate any and all advice you guys could
> give me.
>

> --
> =============================
> <SB> Childe Roland
> "I will show you fear in a handful of jellybeans."

The Athlon 2200+ is 1.8GHz the Sempron 2400+ is
1.667GHz.  I may be wrong but it seems to me that for
video it's the raw GHz that will perform better.  That
being said my first myth box, FE/BE combined, ran just
fine on an Athlon 1200 using a Hauppauge freestyle.  I
didn't need to upgrade until I decided to add a pcHDTV
3K.  I'm now running an Athlon 2700+ with the
freestyle, HD3K, and an old WinTV Go card and haven't
had any issues with FC3 (that's with an onboard nvidia
video, nforce2, and NO xvmc).
The original 2200+ was a Thoroughbred core, I think
the mobile 2200+ is Barton and it's actual speed is
the same as the Sempron 2400+ 1.667GHz.

Howard