[mythtv-users] Font in menu's is too small

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Tue Jul 19 15:42:11 EDT 2005

Andrew Chuah wrote:
> Hi Chad,
> Try editing theme.xml in /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/<theme> (or
> /usr/share/... depending on your installation)
> -hachuah
> On 7/19/05, ffrr <ffrr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>>Chad wrote:
>>>I am using G.A.N.T. on one of my frontends.  It's a Samsung DLP HDTV
>>>monitor, and I have attached my Mythbox to it via the vga out on my
>>>nvidia GF4 MMX 440, and in using the "PC" in, which is just a vga
>>>input.  The video looks outstanding, I mean this is by far the best
>>>image I've ever seen (when viewing High Def shows).
>>>But, when I go back to the menus, the font is really small.  The TV is
>>>a 61" TV, and the font is probably about .5" to 1", probably closer to
>>>the .5"  I've tried messing with the Font settings in the TV Menu, but
>>>nothing changes in the menus.  I'm assuming the font settings I'm
>>>tweaking is for subtitles or something else I never use, but I could
>>>easily be wrong.  Nonetheless, they are not changing the font in the
>>>myth menus.
>>>This is also affected when I view descriptions of videos in mythvideo.
>>>The font is so small, that I need to use my super vision to see it
>>>(which means I have to get up off the couch and walk towards the TV
>>>until it becomes clear :D ).
>>>Any ideas?  Where is the obvious setting I'm missing?
>>I altered some menu font size in a different theme (it was too large )
>>by editing the xml in the theme.  Fonts and sizes for all sorts of
>>things are defined in there.
>>I don't know if that's the approved method, but it worked.

How many bad answers are we gonna get here?
In xorg.conf, or your local equivalent, you need to add in the monitor

Section "Monitor"

    DisplaySize 270 202

... Where the two values are the X and Y sizes that give you a DPI of
100 in

xdpyinfo  |grep resolution

Which also tells me that I've got it all wrong - I'm showing 75 DPI.
Back to the drawing board... :)