AW: [mythtv-users] Mixed FTA and CA confusion

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Sun Jul 17 05:55:42 EDT 2005

> Card 0 DVB-T FTA
> Card 1 DVB-T with CA
> Card 2 DVB-C with CA
>
> Here's the problem; Card 0 & 1 shares the same source, and it
> therefore seams that card 0 will try to tune to non-FTA channels,
regardless
> of the "Only FTA channels" setting for that connection.
>
> Isn't the FTA setting used for this purpose? Or is this a
> known problem with
> the 18.1?

I got the impression that the FTA flag was used only when scanning for
channels.

I've got a similar setup:

Card 0, DVB-S FTA
Card 1, DVB-S with CA1
Cart 2, DVB-S with CA2

CA1 decodes Premiere + ORF
CA2 decodes ORF only.

I'm not quiet sure which way of configuring this is actually right:

A) you could try to set up seperate sources for your card 0+1, scan on
each. Channel list for 0 would be FTA only and channel list for 1 would
be FTA + Encrypted. No idea if mythtv handles this intelligently and
avoids showing duplicate channel entries in program guide.

B) split sources by program type (free only, encrypted only) and enter
multiple source/card bindings in the database. That's what I did for my
setup.

I defined 3 sources for the different groups of channels
mysql> select * from videosource;
+----------+----------+--------------------+
| sourceid | name     | xmltvgrabber       |
+----------+----------+--------------------+
|        1 | Free     | tv_grab_de_tvtoday |
|        2 | Premiere | tv_grab_de_prem    |
|        3 | ORF      | tv_grab_de_orf     |
+----------+----------+--------------------+

I could have used the same xmltvgrabber for all three;
tv_grab_de_tvtoday has listings for all three groups; this would fetch
the full list 3 times and discard whatever isn't needed for each source.

Since tv_grab_de_tvtoday is rather slow I decided against redundant
donwloads and created 2 symlinks to the original grabber + 3 config
files to restrict the channels fetched for each source. Warning: grabber
names and supported features/options of the grabbers are hardcoded in
mythtv, so you need to enter the new grabbers in filldata.cpp for this
to work.

3 CaptureCards, nothing special here.
mysql> select cardid, videodevice, cardtype, defaultinput from
capturecard;
+--------+-------------+----------+--------------+
| cardid | videodevice | cardtype | defaultinput |
+--------+-------------+----------+--------------+
|      1 | 0           | DVB      | DVBInput     |
|      2 | 1           | DVB      | DVBInput     |
|      3 | 2           | DVB      | DVBInput     |
+--------+-------------+----------+--------------+

mysql> select cardinputid, cardid, sourceid, inputname from cardinput;
+-------------+--------+----------+-----------+
| cardinputid | cardid | sourceid | inputname |
+-------------+--------+----------+-----------+
|           1 |      1 |        1 | DVBInput  |
|           2 |      2 |        2 | DVBInput  |
|           3 |      3 |        1 | DVBInput  |
|           4 |      2 |        1 | DVBInput  |
|           5 |      2 |        3 | DVBInput  |
|           6 |      3 |        3 | DVBInput  |

As you can see, I've got multiple sources entered for each card; these
can't be entered using the GUI, had to enter them directly using mysql.
For scheduled recordings card selecion and conflict detection work
nicely. One problem I'm seeing is live tv - switching channels via osd
program guide doesn't seem to work too well. Haven't figured our yet
which conditons prevent the switch from working - sometimes it works,
sometime it doesn't; Who watches live TV anyway?

Bye, Martin