[mythtv-users] Re: Video streams as a "channel"?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Sat Jul 16 23:04:46 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 22:24 -0400, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:00:48PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Its easy to do from mythvideo - see the recent thread on Nasa TV.
> >
> > It relies on the fact that you can set up any arbitrary command to watch
> > a video file.
>
> But this doesn't allow me to record the stream, does it?
>
> I'd like to setup the streams as pseudo-channels and treat them like I
> would any other channel in the IPG.

OK I see your point. There are ways to get, for example, mplayer to
record a stream to the hard drive, like:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile record_here.avi  \
http://url.of.org/stream.avi

Coupled with cron you'd have a method of recording a web stream, but not
co-ordinated into mythtv. Beyond mentioning that it is hard to know
where to go from there. A worthy extension to mythtv though!

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>