[mythtv-users] Getting a Plasma, Scared of Burn-In

Christopher McEwan christopher.mcewan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:19:59 EDT 2005

On 7/15/05, Greg <greg.d at cwgsy.net> wrote:

> > Interesting point, and since I'm always in the mood to buy a
> > new TV, this is something to reconsider. Anyway, what I do
> > now is treat it like a TV. I don't leave it on all the time.
> > Granted, this is a bit of an a****le statement, but the
> > reality is that my TV is kinda an electricity hog, so I turn
> > it off when I'm not using it. Also, if you always leave it in
> > TV playback mode, even if you leave it on for hours, you
> > don't run all that great a risk for burn in. The big scare is
> > if you switch to the menu and fall asleep. Anyway, based on
> > previous issues with TV burn in (I have an RP, and had a past
> > RP burn nice yellow bars on the side cause my roomate would
> > fall asleep watching TV in normal 4:3 mode), it's just a
> > matter of being judicious with the time you use it. Smart
> > outweighs any program options.
> >
> > That said, what's the expected time for burn in to occur? Are
> > we talking minutes, hours, days, weeks? My RP started showing
> > the yellow lines about 500 hours into using it (or roughly a
> > year), but will this happen much faster with the plasma?
> >

> I don't think this is an a****le statement at all, if your not using it,
> turn it off. Simple, no burnin, greener and cut down on your lecy bill as
> well :)
>
> Greg

I normally have my monitor set with DPMS to kick in after 1 minute,
after 5 seconds without a pc input the plasma powers off. However a
few days ago to my horror  I woke up in the morning to discover the
menu still on the screen, and the plasma still turned on.

Needless to say I was checking the screen for burn-in, the menu would
have been static on screen for at least 10 hours, but there was no
burn-in at all.

My recommendation is to still be aware, and use DPMS where possible.
When you are watching something myth disables DPMS anyway, so it only
kicks in when you arent doing anything.

Hope that helps.

--
Regards,