[mythtv-users] OT: DVB/HDTV/Analog tuner cards

ffrr at tpg.com.au ffrr at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 14 21:06:32 EDT 2005

> > Also, are the pcHDTV or DVB cards only for HD/Digital television or could
> > I use it on my analog cable tv signal as well? I plan to go to HDTV pretty
> > soon and maybe even upgrade to digital cable for the HD cable stations. I
> > just don?t plan to do it right now. I?m just interested in the best
> > quality picture I can get with mpeg2 encoding and closed captioning from
> > my analog cable signal. Is it possible to do that with DVB or pcHDTV
> > cards?

Just wanted to comment/clarify something here.  DVB cards (in my case DVB-T) do
not just do HD TV,  They also do standard definition, SD.  In fact, in
Australia, it's mostly all SD, as HD is just getting going.  The 720x576 mpeg
that I get from SD is very good IMHO.

You mention using DVB for your analog cable signal, but DVB is for Digital
Video.  My DVB card will not receive analog signals.

As for closed captioning - if you can explain what it is and how to test it, I
could try it out for you