[mythtv-users] What's a good mini front-end-only box?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:16:16 EDT 2005

On 14/07/05, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Todd,
>
> How are you watching DVDs ? MVP doesn't have a dolby digital 5.1
> decoder. Almost all dvds are encoded in 5.1. So are you
> re-encoding/downmixing the sound to 2 channel stereo ? Or you dvds
> have 2 channel stereo option.
>
> When I tried to play some VOB files (renamed to mpg), I was able to
> watch DVD but no sound came. I also recorded programs from my HD3000
> card. I had to downres to 720x480 and to 2 channel stereo using vlc in
> order to watch them via media mvp.

How about an XBox (With, say, the MadCatz High-Def AV pack, that
includes a nice Optical S/PDIF as well as Composite, SVideo and
Component outs). You can even use the new ones now (As the UXE Exploit
(Another hit from the Department of Redundancy Department) works on
all XBoxen, including my Limited edition V1.6 "Crystal" XBox), install
Xebian and compile Myth (Which, BTW, doesn't recognise the
PIII/Celeron in the XBox, but will still run fine with a
--cpu=pentium3 in the configure).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston