[mythtv-users] New Install Recommendations

Dennis Hand 4hands at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 12:14:45 EDT 2005

>> KnoppMyth!

>I tried this last night and the remote didn't work out of the box. I
>wasn't sure how to troubleshoot it, so I just didn't bother. I didn't
>expect for everything to work magically but I was able to watch TV
>after the install using the keyboard and that was a huge plus.

Getting the remote to work isn't very trivial. Jarod has a great writeup
on this. So you weren't able to get TV working with MythDora? I know
you said it wouldn't record on the correct channel. Sounds like the tuner
wasn't setup correctly.

> > > I tried MythDora, and I always seem to have some sort of a snag. Just
> > > when I thought it was working good, I find that it doesn't tune to the
> > > proper channel for recording.
> > >
> > Did you try to trouble shoot this?  What tuner do you have?  Did you try
> > an updated driver?  Did you specify the proper tuner type (if needed)?
> > My point is I don't think this is a MythDora (Swiper, swiper, you stole
> > my idea ;) issue.

And a damn fine idea it was. Just trying to add a little flavor to the menu..:-)

>I tried a few things to get it going, and Dennis on the g-ding.tv
>website was very helpful on everything. I just couldn't get the remote
>working there either and I didn't want to hack it much because I
>didn't want to break anything trying to fix the remote. Dennis's
>MythDora is awesome for ease of installation, but it's hard to get
>something to work out of the box on so many different pieces of
>hardware.

>Again, thanks everyone.

>--
>-=/>Thom

Thanks for the kind words Thom. I appreciate that. It is a young project
and I'm still working on perfecting it. I did think you were in the clear as
all that needed to be worked out was the remote and TV-Out on the 350.
And your right, getting everything to work out of the box on so many pieces
of hardware is a big undertaking. I think even Cecil would agree with me on that.

Dennis