[mythtv-users] Epia 600 or 800 as backend?

Stephan Krings sk-mythtv at chateau-neukoelln.de
Thu Jul 14 10:29:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'd like to build a mythbackend system, which is based on an Epia system
with 600 or 800 Mhz preferably without any fan. It should run almost
noiseless 24/7 and only needs to do the backend job, that is recording 1
or 2 DVB streams from USB or PCI devices and hosting the MySQL db. All
displaying and decoding will be done on another, faster system. Before I
get out buying the hardware I'd like to clarify some things.

- Is such a configuration possible? Will the Epia hardware be fast
enough for the job?

- Is it possible to do commflagging and transcoding on another host?
Preferably the frontend, which scheduled the recording job? I guess the
described backend system will be heavily underpowered to fullfil that task.

- Any specific hardware recommendations?

Thanks for your attention,

Stephan