[mythtv-users] New Install Recommendations

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Thu Jul 14 00:14:20 EDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> gentoo has always been good to me, and its what all my linux computers
> run, backend, frontend, desktop, server, whatever

I tend to gravitate towards RHEL (work servers) or Fedora (home
workstations) for most things. Recently on my home firewall I did
away with FC1 and moved it to CentOS which is a RHEL based distro.
For my HTPC I started with Gentoo 2004.x and MythTV 0.16 if I
remember right.

I had this idea that I could 'do it better' and later on tried FC4
and then two different releases of KnoppMyth. Not satisfied with any
of these I went back to Gentoo 2005.0 with MythTV 0.18.1.

Gentoo takes some getting used to after working for years with RHEL
and FC but over all it's a good distro and well suited to a MythTV FE/
BE. Great resources exist for Gentoo documentation to include the
Gentoo web site, the wiki, and the forums. If anything the main
problem with Gentoo is there is to much documentation and sometimes
it can be a bit stale. :)

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1