[mythtv-users] What's a good mini front-end-only box?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 18:09:54 EDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Reza Naima <reza at reza.net> wrote:
> i'm currently using an x-box which seems grossly underpowered.  does
> anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap front-end-only box?
> Something that's good looking.  I've got an hdtv w/ vga&dvi inputs.
> thanks,
> reza

As John mentioned I like my Pundit-Rs. I have 4 of them. Very nice.
Reasonable quiet, but not silent. The only problem I'm having with
MythTV right now is that I cannot keep the StreamZap remotes I bought
working with Myth. The work for a day and then stop. I think this is
more an lirc problem but it's an issue you might want to think about
before you buy.

Anyway, I own 4 and I'd buy 4 more today if I needed to, but ONLY for
frontend ONLY. The PVR-xxx cards do not fit in them easily so they are
of no value to me as backend machines.

SATA performance is low right now.