[mythtv-users] DVD rip preserving menus

Derek Scollon mailing.lists at scotwebsolutions.com
Wed Jul 13 03:07:44 EDT 2005

Yes, I did and as fas as I could determine, it sounded like a problem with decoding some discs. Ultimately, I ended up solving the problem using my Windows machine. It's a fudge, but it never has any problem ripping discs. I'm doing almost exactly what James Oltman is describing here http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-July/095398.html except that I rip the whole disc with DVDShrink then use Nero to burn the iso to hard drive then ftp it to my myth box. The down side is that it's a bit more labour intensive and usually takes more than an hour to do, but so far it has worked every time.

> On 5/24/05, Jonathan Watmough <jonathan.watmough at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>

>> > From Andrew's instructions, I've done the following and it seems to
>> work...
>> >
>> > 1. Insert DVD and run xine, let it start playing the DVD, then exit it.
>> > 2. dd if=/dev/dvd of=/video/movie.iso bs=2048 (replace path and filename
>> to suit)
>> > 3. xine dvd:///video/movie.iso
>> >
>> > Optionally, go into the File Types Settings in MythTV Video setup and
>> create a new filetype called iso with the command set to xine -pfhq dvd://%s
>> >
>> > --
>> > Derek

> I've tried to follow these steps, but xine gives an error when trying
> to play the .iso image.  It says:

> - xine engine error -
> There is no demuxer plugin to handle
> '/video/dvd/myvideo.iso'
> Usually this means the file format was not recongized.

> Did anyone else encounter this issue?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

> Xine 1.01
> Fedora Core 3
> libdvdcss installed

> Thanks,