[mythtv-users] OT: DVB/HDTV/Analog tuner cards

Leo Przybylski void at leosandbox.org
Tue Jul 12 20:53:22 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I’ve been camping out on this list just listening what people are saying
about their various uses/configurations of mythtv. There is a really huge
diversity of configurations. Probably one of the best things about mythtv
is this displayed versatility.

I’ve been struggling with my own configurations and I’ve tried a few, but
still a little behind the curve compared to many of you. I hope you could
shed a little light for me. Forgive me for the dumb questions. I’ve tried
searching for answers, but I can’t really find anything other than answers
for troubleshooting technical issues.

Right now, I am using MythTV on EPIA MII12000 with a WinTV-PVR 250. It’s
working great for me except I don’t have closed-captioning!!!! Argh! What
a pain. I noticed nobody really talks about CC on the list much. Maybe no
one uses it except for me. It’s a really huge deal for me though. I don’t
think I’m hard of hearing, but I find I like to read the conversations
more since a lot of the “overacting” on television anymore makes it tough
to understand dialogue.

Am I going to find a Mpeg2-encoding tv tuner that supports closed
captioning out there?

I’ve almost reserved myself to going back to my cheap analog tuner and
pumping my system up. I found that AMD now makes a low power 64-bit
processor “Turion.” It’s like a low power Athlon 64. Goes up to 2 Ghz
which should be sufficient for encoding/decoding mpeg2 realtime. I don’t
want to use the analog card if I can help it though. Last time I tried it,
I couldn’t get sound out of live tv. Must have been something to do with
my btaudio driver and ALSA. Anyway, I gave up and that’s how I ended up
with the PVR-250. It was just too good at simplifying things for me.

I’ve noticed though that there are a whole slew of digital cards that
people are talking about using. I don’t know much about them though. I
noticed people like to use pcHDTV or DVB cards. I looked at the NEXUS and
pcHDTV cards and I just couldn’t figure out if they supported closed
captioning well.

Does anyone know if they support closed captioning?

Also, are the pcHDTV or DVB cards only for HD/Digital television or could
I use it on my analog cable tv signal as well? I plan to go to HDTV pretty
soon and maybe even upgrade to digital cable for the HD cable stations. I
just don’t plan to do it right now. I’m just interested in the best
quality picture I can get with mpeg2 encoding and closed captioning from
my analog cable signal. Is it possible to do that with DVB or pcHDTV
cards?

Thanks much for your input,

Leo Przybylski