[mythtv-users] Suggestions about this remote control

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Mon Jul 11 07:58:36 EDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:03 pm, ffrr wrote:
> The USB remote control that came with my TV card, is a USB type, and
> linux (mandrive 2005LE) detects it when I insert it, and uses it like a
> USB keyboard (and mouse?).  From /var/log/messages...
>
> Jul 11 17:56:10 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Twinhan
> Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:02.1-3
> Jul 11 17:56:10 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Twinhan
> Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:02.1-3
>
> The keys all seem to have mappings.  For example, by watching in a
> terminal, I see that all the number keys map to the numbers 0 to 9 as
> expected.  Other keys are letters   -  Rewind is a lowercase 'i' and FF
> is an 'n' for example, and the play key seems to conveniently be an
> enter key.  Others are more obscure.
>
> Seems it should be possible to use it to control any app, but of course,
> I want to control MythTV.
>
> Any clues on how to remap the keys of this 'USB keyboard'?  Does linux
> have a standard mechanism for input devices like this?

This is exactly my problem with this remote.

Previously I used mythweb to remap the myth keys to match the remote but this
is annoying way to fix the problem.  I have two frontends with different
remotes and the one with the Twinhan Tech Remote Control has no web browser
on it.

Another suggestion was to remap the keys with xmodmap but this would be even
more annoying because then a normal keyboard would use the remap keys.

I found these links for BSD:
http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/usbhidaction.1.html
http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/usbhidctl.1.html

I've had a quick look at the kernel in the hope of a patch may fix the problem
but the usb driver seems complex.  linux/drivers/usb/input

Please tell me if there is a simple way to get this to work,
Paul