[mythtv-users] 4:3 zoom and OSD on a 16:9 monitor

Sasha Z kleptophobiac at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 22:09:06 EDT 2005

I just got a new TV, a toshiba 34HF85, and am loving it. There's a
slight problem, however, with watching 4:3 and 16:9 content.

By default, mythtv runs in 4:3 zoom mode for 4:3 content, and all is
well. The top and bottom of the content get chopped off, but I don't
really care. When I change the aspect ratio, the video gets stretched
or moved properly, but the OSD gets shoved towards the middle of the
screen and gets cut off the bottom. Returning to the original 4:3 zoom
mode doesn't alleviate the problem with the location of the OSD. I
have to restart the recording, and considering my horrible seeking
experience, finding where I was in the recording is often a PITA if I
forget to save the location.