[mythtv-users] Nvidia MX4000 vs ATI 9200SE

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Fri Jul 8 04:03:57 EDT 2005

I buy? I am currently going to purchase a PCI card for a smaller desktop
box to transfer my mythtv box into. The 2 cheapest PCI cards with S-Video
out I could find are the MX
>000 and the 9200SE. From benchmarks I see the
9200SE is faster @ 3D but is it a pain to setup? I am currently running
FX5200 which is great at S-Video out. Overscan is definitely a plus.
Opinions? TIA

Hi Johnny,

I can't compare the two directly as I haven't tried an MX4000, but have
used Nvidia cards up to fairly recently, and tried most of them using composite
out to a 50Hz TV. The last machine I set up with TV out used an ATI 9200SE,
and I have to say I was very impressed by the clarity and stability of the
TV picture (using the proprietary drivers from ATI) into an ordinary 50Hz
TV. Unfortunately the box was stolen before I had the chance to finish setting
it up so I can't tell you more. I think it is true that Nvidia may be easier
to set up. I was still having trouble with screen resizing (using Xfree86
4.3) and 3D acceleration, but there was plenty of help available on the
net for these issues.

I know several people on the list have had trouble with ATI cards so this
is by no means a recommendation, but I wanted to share my positive experience.

Cheers

Marius
Registered Linux user