[mythtv-users] UK Freeview compatible tuner

Ashley Bostock abostock at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:40:18 EDT 2005

Hi Greg,

FYI my box has a 2ghz celeron with 768mb ram and 2 nova-t cards in it.
Running Gentoo, Kernel 2.6.11

With the backend running and 1 front end connected, but doing nothing...
load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.28
mythbackend  = 0.3% CPU
mythfrontend = 0% CPU

Same thing but watching a recording I get...
load average: 0.32, 0.79, 0.99 <-- but I've seen this shoot up to over
3 (no spike in CPU usage for the mythfrontend process tho and no
adverse effects to playback)
mythfrontend = 15-20% CPU
mythbackend = 0.3% CPU

Recording 1 show while doing nothing else (1 frontend connected just
stilling at the main menu):
load average: 0.07, 0.29, 0.80
mythfrontend = 0% CPU
mythbackend = 1-2% CPU

Recording 2 shows while doing nothing else (1 frontend connected just
stilling at the main menu):
load average: 0.12, 0.19, 0.53
mythfrontend = 0% CPU
mythbackend = 2-3% CPU

There is an initial load jump to around 0.5 when first scheduleing the
recording, guessing this is down to doing some db calls, creating the
file, starting the recorder.... then after a min or so it settles down
to the low numbers above.

Recording 2 shows with 1 frontend connected watching a recording:
load average: 0.53, 1.18, 0.99 <-- seen this go higher as mentioned above
mythfrontend = 15-20% CPU
mythbackend = 2-3% CPU

So I'd say the kernel drivers for the on board sis video chip is the
only thing that bumps up my load average during play back.  Running up
a second frontend while recording 2 shows and therefore watching 2
recordings doesn't seem to have much effect as all its doing is
streaming from the disk over the network.  I'm sure the values would
be a lot higher if I had any commercial flagging going on as well, but
during these tests I didn't.

No idea if any of that is helpful to you.

Ash.