[mythtv-users] HD capture via Component/RGB/DVI incoming at 720i

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 23:36:57 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, Scott <catfather at donpoo.net> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2005, at 2:43 PM, William wrote:
> > Even ota broadcast signals cannot all be captured as most good
> > content is encripted.
>
> Not a flame, but do you, or anyone else, have a cite for this? i was
> under the impression that OTA HD was not encrypted. I understand
> there is the _possiblity_ to encrypt (think broadcast flag?) but to
> date no OTA transmissions are encrypted.

He's spouting misinformation.

There are a few encrytped OTA HD channels, because there's a company
out there that sells HD "cable" via an antenna but all the major
networks are free and clear.

Think about it, for a second, when was the last time you heard of
paying NBC for content?

He's probably confusing OTA with QAM (the modulation for HD over
cable), the encryption ratio on those channels varies greatly from
cable company to cable company.