[mythtv-users] building my first MythTV box

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Jul 3 14:18:22 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:32:15AM -0700, sarvinc at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Second, I don't have HD but I'd like to beat the "broad cast flags" issue, in
> case it ever comes up again, I'm thinking about the pcHDTV HD-3000. From the
> looks of  http://www.pchdtv.com/ this card won't work with my existing
> digital cable setup. Would it save me a lot of time and trouble to just go
> for a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 instead?

You will always save time and trouble by using proven solutions.  The
PVR250 and PVR350 work great with MythTV.

> Third, I'm hoping to get the quitest solution possible. What sort of cpu /
> motherboard combo should I be looking at? From the looks of this list if I go
> with the HD card then there are heat issues. Are mini-itx solutions
> suggested, not suggested, what about Pentium 4 processors?

Have you considered running a split system?  My back-end system is a
multi-disk, multi-fan beast that sits in a corner of the basement along
with the scanner, printer, etc.  The front-end in the livingroom is much
quieter because all it has to do is run the front end and/or mplayer.
Right now I'm using an X-Box, but in the future I could switch to a
diskless workstation that boots from the network.

> Last, do I need another video card, or is the video capture card all I need?

The PVR350 has video out.  Most other solutions will require a separate
video card.