[mythtv-users] MythStream/mplayer question

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 06:01:51 EDT 2005

> a) Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html
> b) Read the RealAudio section of the DOCS
>
> then,
>
> c) install the codec, or
> d) update the codecs.conf in your ~mythtv/.mplayer directory to it's in
> sync with the one distributed with your version of MPlayer (i.e. cp
> /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf ~mythtv/.mplayer ).  If you update MPlayer and
> do not update the user-specific configuration information, you don't get
> the benefits of the newly supported codecs (among many other things).

You legend! I would never have figured this out. I got it working
after many hours of aborted attempts thanks to you. For future
reference, here's what I did:

1) Created a directory called win32 as root in /usr/lib/

2) Downloaded all-20050412.tar.bz2 and win32codecs-20040703.tar.bz2
from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/ and untarred
them into /usr/lib/win32/. This put the files in sub-dirs under
/usr/lib/win32/ so I moved them out of those sub-dirs so that all the
files are now sitting directly in /usr/lib/win32/. (Note that the
codecs.html page said to install into /usr/local/lib/codecs/. This
didn't work for me and as my error messages were about failing to find
files in /usr/lib/win32/ I decided to put the files in there. I
figured this is a distro specific location).

3) Now I can play BBC Radio 4 and the WAF is off the scale!

BTW - I didn't have a /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf file so I didn't
explore that option.

Thanks again,
Phill